It is a time of celebration. It was a year of change. From some nerve wracking months when I didn’t know whether I could remain in India to manic work back in one of my favourite places – Jakarta – 2016 had lows and highs and many moments in between.
Blogging honestly hasn’t been a priority. From September, I was more in Indonesia than India. Even when home, my focus was on the project. However I didn’t just work in Jakarta. I did manage an escape to Bogor to breath in oxygenated air at the Botanical gardens and even attend a Christmas fair in Kemang.
After a bit of a hiatus, time to bring back a quarterly summary of what’s been happening.
In real life, there have been a few fairly momentus changes in the last few months. Most are ones I don’t tend to talk about. Bottom line is I had to leave India to change my visa… thankfully was successful!
There were many hopeful moments of a return to Indonesia or Malaysia or other opportunities that have finally materialized with a project in Jakarta starting later this month!
I also had my first article published on Scroll.in :
You know you have a neglected blog when you are inundated with offers for content ‘support’ from various corners.
Did it stick? Not really… partly as my travels significantly reduced and the work situation became complicated. Even on the play front, I would attend so many amazing events but these did not translate into posts… (more…)
Most folks who blog get to a point where they hit an impasse… and things either flounder, falter and flop or…. change. I’m not yet ready to give up, but have certainly faltered a time or two.
Let’s be honest, I’ve been pre-occupied with a crazy long list of company / business related activities, interspersed with enjoying life and… yes… distracted by my other blog ‘Whisky Lady.’
Sure I still WANT to write but the ideas that pop in my head inspired by an experience or conversation just haven’t been making it to the publish stage.
And don’t even get me started about drafts! Anyone else have an embarassing 60+ gathering dust in your drafts folder?!
Clearly it was time for an intervention, clean-up and figure a way to get “back on the saddle” for a a renewed posting groove! (more…)
How was your 2015? If anything like mine… zap! It was gone!
After an insane amount of travel in 2014 with a small project in Malaysia, a big project in Indonesia (I MISS Jakarta!!), some work in Japan, China, Philippines and Singapore… 2015 seemed rather tame.
Wow! We’ve officially entered double digits for quarters… Merci all ya loyal readers and welcome newbies!
This quarter, I was interviewed & featured on two sites – how cool is that?
- Expat Focus – A website for globe trotters and bloggers from around the world…
- Learning India on working in India – a great website started by an American consultant in Chennai to help folks interested in working or living in India
Life brought a few developments too:
- Jumping for joy with the Canadian election results – finally Harper is gone!!
- Travel-wise had three trips: Delhi & Kolkata for work, Jodhpur purely for pleasure
- As for the ongoing structural repairs? After the water spray fiasco, the main building repairs are done though painting is pending… alas we still have one bedroom / balcony / bathroom to go!
- On the whisky side – started a brilliant ‘Whisky Ladies‘ group with a special guest from Inver House
Bravo you brave soul for sticking it out! For those who’ve been around since the journey began 9 quarters ago, many thanks! For those who just joined, welcome!
July brought a wee shake-up in the approach to the blog as ‘Every day adventures in Asia (mostly)’ morphed into the simpler Everyday Asia with four core themes – Home, Away, Work and Play. Fear not – this blog remains grounded in the everyday mundane activities of a transplanted Canuck living in Mumbai and traveling (mostly) around Asia. (more…)
I can’t believe that Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly) is now two years old!!
What an amazing journey so far! With folks from nearly 150 countries tuning in, over 33,000 views and 2,200 comments, 220+ posts, 867 followers and counting… I’m still amazed the semi-regular ramblings of a Canadian woman about her every day life in Asia is of interest. (more…)
Funny how time zips by when you are doing nearly nothing!
While not strictly true, the 7th Quarter of “Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly)” was certainly more sedate than previous quarters given it was minus the manic travel and project work.
This 7th quarter brought:
- An impromptu trip to Amsterdam, finally adding Europe to all my recent adventures… naturally I’ve had oodles of past ones! 😉
- Saw LOTS of theatre – some fabulous and some definitely not!
- Mad marriage marathons in Mumbai… once I’m fully recovered I may share some of the gory details!
- Oodles of family visitors for the Christmas / New Years season
- And finally a focus on fitness for the slow journey back to normality post ankle injury – including shuffling along to support Avehi Abacus at the Mumbai Marathon!
Gee… it seems like only yesterday I wrote the 5th Quarter Summary… However now that I’m ‘grounded’ in Mumbai, am back in the ‘posting grove’ with “Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly)” after a longish hiatus. And proud for being ON TIME (as opposed to Indian stretchable time) with this update. (more…)