Home » Whiskey
Category Archives: Whiskey
Once upon a time, March 31st used to mean year-end sales push with everyone running around, heaps of energy, effort and much more!
While I no longer have such direct business pressures, I do still need to do the accounting books so did a little whisky cabinet spring cleaning to pull out a few older oxidation bottles to have on hand for a late evening post numbers wind down. Great plan… til a cold happened. And I never waste good whisky on a stuffed up nose!!
So instead, my March round-up will not feature my hidden gems, instead share that it did bring some merriment and mischief with a trip to Jakarta and Singapore – including a nip into The Single Cask and La Maison du Whisky.
Alas March missed two of our usual tasting group sessions – both the BMC and our underground original club. However nothing was going to stop our Whisky Ladies from their monthly tasting!
And what did the ladies chose? A few less common slightly ‘Risky Whiskies‘:
- France – Brenne Estate Cask 40% – A delightful light, frankly ‘girly’ bubblegum whisky
- France – AWA (Authentique Whisky Alsacien) Pinot Noire 42% – A wine influenced playful, flower bouquet of a whisky
- USA – Virgil Kaine 2016 Ashcat 45.6% – Bourbon with a twist!
Plus a birthday bonus and bourbon:
- Lowland – Auchentoshan 40 year 41.2% – A whisky lady birthday treat! Happy Bday Pooja!!!
- USA – Willett Pot Stilled Reserve 47% – Great with a cube of ice!
I also shared notes from an amazing evening with Krishna Nakula when we sampled:
- Undeclared 22 year (1990/2012) 46% – Sweet spice with a lovely long finish
- Glenlivet 19 year (1995/2015) 58.1% – Banana spice, nutty cereal…
- Amrut 5 year (2010/2015) 56.5% – Finally an Amrut I really LIKE!
- Kavalan Solist NAS Sherry Cask S081229026 55.6% – Yet another brilliant Kavalan!
- Benriach 20 year (1994/2014) 54.7% – Lots of different elements, not quite in harmony
Plus a few extras like:
- Whisky Tip for Asia – “Take a “shot” of ice cold water” (Murray Campbell, Bruichladdich Brand Ambassador for Asia)
- Whisky Live Singapore – Ladies Room + Amrut
- A look back on the remarkable Nordic Whiskies Journey
- Recap of the Whisky Ladies bitching at the International Scotch Day
- And “Of all the gin joints!” on Native Brew’s early gin experiments for the Whisky Ladies
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
You can also find my Whisky Lady in India avatar on:
Just wanted to raise a virtual toast and wish you all a very Happy New Years!!
As I was away in Indonesia for most of December, my Whisky Lady posts were mostly catch-up on earlier tasting experiences…
Once again the Bombay & Malt and Cigar gentlemen managed to accommodate my mad travel schedule and arranged our night to coincide with my limited dates back in Mumbai. The theme was Berrys’ and a blend featuring:
- Berrys’ Speyside 46% – Sour cherries meets bitter sherry… hmm….
- Berrys’ Islay 46% – Peaty sweet cinnamon spice…
- Ghosted Reserve No 2 42.8% – A trio of lost Lowland distillery spirits from Ladyburn, Inverleven and Dumbarton…
July was honestly just a lot of fun. Just as June was full of travels, July was very much Mumbai focused.
Our original club and Bombay Malt & Cigar club took a break, however no mere monsoon could hold back our intrepid Whisky Ladies who tackled 5 whisky regions with:
- Lowlands – Glenkinchie 12 year 43% – Light apple cider appetizer
- Islands – Jura Turas-Mara 42% – ‘Long journey’ to silky sweetness and deceptive richness
- Highlands – Clynelish 14 year 46% – Satisfying contrast between aroma, palate and finish!
- Speyside – Cardhu 12 year 40% – An experiment comparing newly opened vs previously opened bottle…
- Islay – Ardbeg 10 year 46% – For those of the peaty persuasion!
June was full of travels! Which just so happened to prompt a few whisky adventures with:
- Amusing hour(s) selecting whiskies at London’s Whisky Exchange
- Went on a road trip to tour of Gimli’s Crown Royal plant
- Got completely distracted at a Winnipeg Liquor Mart
- Evening with Winnipeg’s “The Cabinet” whisky tasting club
- Popped into Winnipeg’s Whisky Bar (part of The Toad in the Hole on Osborne)
- Raided a friend’s whisky collection to snag a few samples to bring back to India… as he puts it “I do NOT collect stamps!“
June featured three tasting sessions! (more…)