Home » Posts tagged 'Carissa Hickling'
Tag Archives: Carissa Hickling
More than two years ago I started the blog ‘Everyday Adventures in Asia (mostly)‘ with the thought to share :
- Insights into everyday life adventures in my adopted ‘home’ India and working ‘homes’ all around Asia
- Tales of past travel adventures with a focus on Asia
- General adventures with topics of interest from the perspective of a Canadian woman living long-term in Asia
I had no feel for what blogging meant, just had a bit of time on my hands, enjoyed reading a few friend’s blogs and thought – why not? (more…)
I can’t believe that Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly) is now two years old!!
What an amazing journey so far! With folks from nearly 150 countries tuning in, over 33,000 views and 2,200 comments, 220+ posts, 867 followers and counting… I’m still amazed the semi-regular ramblings of a Canadian woman about her every day life in Asia is of interest. (more…)
Funny how time zips by when you are doing nearly nothing!
While not strictly true, the 7th Quarter of “Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly)” was certainly more sedate than previous quarters given it was minus the manic travel and project work.
This 7th quarter brought:
- An impromptu trip to Amsterdam, finally adding Europe to all my recent adventures… naturally I’ve had oodles of past ones! 😉
- Saw LOTS of theatre – some fabulous and some definitely not!
- Mad marriage marathons in Mumbai… once I’m fully recovered I may share some of the gory details!
- Oodles of family visitors for the Christmas / New Years season
- And finally a focus on fitness for the slow journey back to normality post ankle injury – including shuffling along to support Avehi Abacus at the Mumbai Marathon!
Gee… it seems like only yesterday I wrote the 5th Quarter Summary… However now that I’m ‘grounded’ in Mumbai, am back in the ‘posting grove’ with “Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly)” after a longish hiatus. And proud for being ON TIME (as opposed to Indian stretchable time) with this update. (more…)
When I started this blog more than 5 quarters ago… I had a vague notion of posting about 4 times a month, dredge up observations from current and past trips and generally amuse myself by sharing tales primarily with family and friends, simply using the blog as the ‘means’.
What I found is there is a whole fabulous blogging community out there and yet at the same time – just because someone else prepares beautiful crafted, witty, thoughtful posts on a regular basis – it is not a competition! You decide what to accomplish and it is perfectly fine to be ‘undisciplined’ because this is a choice not a chore!
That being said, I like having these little quarterly round ups as an opportunity to take a step back and reflect on what the heck I’ve been up to for 3 months! (more…)
Nine months ago, if I’d got ‘knocked up’, we’d be saying “It’s a girl/boy!”
Instead, I’m delighted to celebrate “It’s a blog!” as “Every Day Adventures in Asia (Mostly)” reaches its 3rd quarter – yipee!
I gotta admit though, this quarter didn’t exactly turn out as planned…
I expected to be in Jakarta and couldn’t wait to explore more of that amazing city and other parts of Indonesia! While I was busy with the Indonesian project til 2nd week December, most work was done remotely in Mumbai. With a shift in business model and priorities, there won’t be future trips for this client… sigh… however ‘fingers crossed’ more projects will come that involve travel!
- My partner had a film shoot planned in Budapest in December. Seemed a great excuse to spend some time in Europe – I had dreams of joining for a bit, pop over to Prague to see a dear friend, amble on to Amsterdam for another friend’s new nightclub opening. Alas, the film hit a snag and…. again sigh… no news on if/when either the film shoot will happen or where.
- With these developments, we decided to stay put, revelling in the delights and distractions Mumbai always has on offer – not such a bad thing. 🙂
As for the blog, this quarter hit some cool milestones: (more…)
While tis the season to be merry, winter is also marriage or “shadi” season in India! The temperatures cool and ‘phorun’ (foreign) relatives descend. Peacock bright wedding finery is donned, jewellery polished and coloured envelops stuffed with cash plus one rupee for good luck.
In a true sign of the times, the family wedding we attended on the weekend was 2nd time around for two siblings. All four experienced wedding, divorce and were taking a leap of faith to wed again. The brother and sister decided to tie the knot with their respective loves on the same day, keeping the ceremonies short, sweet and restricted to family. (more…)
In many countries around the world, cash registers are working overtime and folks are trudging through streets and malls scouring for the perfect gift for that special someone, obligatory family member or “Secret Santa” at work.
Now we are all multi-faceted creatures with a variety of interests – our gifts and gift giving reflects this. And this blog is no exception, particularly as it is a purely personal indulgence. However as I was poking around the statistics for the upcoming 3rd quarter summary, I thought comments from family and friends that “Hey I loved that!” or “That’s totally not my thing so I ignore posts about…”
Rather than make a wild guess or totally piss off all ya super cool readers out there, I would love to hear what YOU want more / less of… I’ve broadly divided along the lines of the blog’s categories. (more…)