More than two years ago I started the blog ‘Everyday Adventures in Asia (mostly)‘ with the thought to share :
- Insights into everyday life adventures in my adopted ‘home’ India and working ‘homes’ all around Asia
- Tales of past travel adventures with a focus on Asia
- General adventures with topics of interest from the perspective of a Canadian woman living long-term in Asia
I had no feel for what blogging meant, just had a bit of time on my hands, enjoyed reading a few friend’s blogs and thought – why not?
My reasons for blogging were purely personal with a vague concept of a ‘online journal’ of current developments and reflections on earlier adventures too. I thought my posts would only be of interest to family and friends, hence the primary goal was to create a ‘bridge’ between the life I have today with various ‘lives’ I’ve met along the way.
Back from our recent trip to Canada and the UK, I have a renewed sense of understanding about what this blog means. As a ‘bridge’ between different worlds, it is hugely successful! What is ordinary for me is sometimes extraordinary for others. And I’m humbled by how many folks not only follow my journey through various posts, but connect with the content and experiences shared. When we meet in person, they pick up conversation threads linked back to a post that meant something specific to them. How fabulous is that?
I’ve also gained a tremendous appreciation of the blogging community – those emboldened to share their stories, images, perspectives. Through our virtual selves, we have joked and commiserated, finding kindred spirits with elements of common ground. To now say I ‘know’ in real life three remarkable women who are also part of my blogging family is such a joy.
However the only REAL constant in life is CHANGE!
This blog is no different.. and it is time to make a couple changes… beginning with changing the title.
I’m ‘retiring’ the rather large mouthful of ‘Every day adventures in Asia (mostly)’. Some may not have realised it, but a year ago when I shifted from a WordPress domain name to a custom one, I shortened it to EverydayAsia.com. Sneaky, eh?
Belatedly, I would like to now ‘officially’ welcome…. (drum roll please)…
Why? Aside from the adage ‘less is more’, for me:
- ‘Everyday‘ reflects the rather common-place ordinary interests with an eye to how it may be perceived by someone not so familiar with my everyday reality… a kind of insider outsider perspective.
- ‘Asia’ reflects of my continued interest in exploring Asia (and yes – beyond too!) while remaining firmly based in India. As I’ve shared before, it really IS possible to live in Mumbai, have a company set-up in Singapore and work around Asia.
While I’m no less ‘adventurous’ and this blog will continue to ‘mostly’ be about Asia, think we can drop those extra words. Can’t we?
I’ve experimented endlessly with other themes but haven’t found one that works as well as Academica’s three columns. However it is equally time for a bit of a ‘refresh’ too.
Expect to see changes in various visual elements in the coming weeks…
My content is organised with 2 pages, 5 main categories and a jumble of sub-categories. The top menu currently has a few minor modifications:
- About is a page simply introducing the blog and blogger
- Everyday India replaces the earlier category ‘Everyday’ and in the coming weeks I plan to play around with the sub-categories of India, discovering difference, everyday life, urban village into topics [Now ‘Home‘]
- Travel is for all the stuff outside India with sub-categories by country or region [Now ‘Away‘]
- Arts is all the odds n sods about theatre, music, literature, festivals, various creative ‘arts’ that peak my interest anywhere in the world [Now ‘Play‘]
- Whisky is for my monthly round-up of Whisky Lady posts [Now a sub-category ‘Whisky‘ in ‘Play’]
- Quarterly Review is for posts summarising activities and topics of interest over the quarter
- Start here… Is another page which replaces the earlier ‘Blog Trivia‘ as a suggested starting point for folks new to the blog
So far I’ve only alluded to the ‘work‘ element in my life and have no desire for this blog to have a commercial dimension, however a large part of our life is consumed by work and our lives are an amalgam of ‘work’ and ‘play‘… In my case also being ‘home‘ and ‘away‘ so these themes as a way to structure content is growing on me.
What do you think?
About blogs morphing over time… About the change in title… About the approach to categories / topics… About, well, anything bloggers think about when writing??
Come on folks, give it to me!!
- Company anniversary – Welcoming work
- The art of play!
- Travel tales… How I got ‘hooked’ on going ‘away’
- The many faces of home