Home » Posts tagged 'Whisky Lady'
Tag Archives: Whisky Lady
Whisky Lady vs Everyday Asia
The hard thing about having a “real” job rather than running my own business is that the variables beyond my control alone are simply much higher.
Before I made this big change in October 2017, I committed to myself that no matter how busy things got, I would do my best to keep up with all three Mumbai whisky tasting groups and share notes on my other blog – Whisky Lady – at my own pace and timing. A nice no pressure way to keep doing something I enjoy, fitting this little bit of pleasure around work that I’m completely absorbed (one might say obsessed) with in the attempt to make a real impact.
From Canada, USA, UAE, Singapore, Germany (twice!), all over Mumbai I bounced and slogged through weekends, holidays… and somehow managed to miss only a few whisky tasting sessions. And when I did, found a fabulous “guest” writer in a fellow whisky explorer… who has now launched his own amazing Whisky blog – Whisky Flu.
Linked to this commitment was my monthly round up here on Everyday Asia. Which for months has become the only activity I’ve managed to achieve on this blog…
So clearly it was time to stop trying to keep up appearances….
Quietly without fanfare my February monthly whisky “round-up” skipped across from here to there. If you are interested in whisky posts, do pop over to Whisky Lady… however you will no longer find once a month a list of tasting adventures here.
As for Everyday Asia? As the 1st phase of the project winds to a close, it just might be possible to “get a life” again soon… til then….
Whisky Lady – May 2017
May brought adventures around India with trips to Kolkata, Kochi with a nice juicy project in Mumbai. It also brought the heat before the monsoon… shifting from mere heat to drenching humidity.
All three tasting groups also got into the action!
The Whisky Ladies and our original group enjoyed Bruichladdich Peat Progressions with:
- The Classic Laddie 50% – A delightful dram to start an evening… (Whisky Ladies only)
- The Laddie Eight 50% – Nose keeps evolving, following through on the palate (Original only)
- Bere Barley (2008) 50% – Rustic and original (Whisky Ladies only)
- PC 2007 CC:01 8 years 57.8% – Give it time to open, it is completely worth the wait!
- PC 12 Oileanach Furachail 58.7% – Industrial, bursting with character yet oddly also restrained and almost elegant too
- Octomore 07.2_208 5 years PPM 208 58.5% – Absolutely stunning and a cut above!
- Octomore 07.1_208 5 years PPM 208 59.5% – Again, impossible to believe it is so heated yet not overwhelming (Whisky Ladies only)
The BMC gent’s finally had their version of the Undisclosed Distillery session with a bonus:
- Wilson & Morgan “Highland Heart” Sherry Cask 43% – Rich marmalade, incredibly smooth and rounded… a rather regal whisky you simply want to curl up and enjoy
- Sansibar Islay 8 year 52.2% – Fresh muted peat with an evolving character, well rounded
- Port Askaig 19 year 50.4% – Sufficiently complex to to keep it interesting, for a peaty whisky quite elegant
- Finlaggan Cask Strength 58% – Asphalt meets meadow flowers… surprisingly it works!
A return of the Miniatures sessions with:
- Glengassaugh Evolution 50% – Just say no unless you like mouth disinfectant
- Glenglassaugh Torfa 50% – Better than my 1st foray but still a long way to go..
- Inchmurrin Madeira 46% – A nice ‘day drink’ from Loch Lomond
Shared tasting notes from a 2nd Flight at The Single Cask with a lighter touch with:
- Deanston 15 years (1997/2013) Cask No 1958 45.8%
- Glen Moray 21 year (1991/2013) Cask No 9980 46%
- Glentauchers 18 years (1996/2014) 2 casks 46%
- Miltonduff 21 year (1995/2016) 45.8%
- Followed by a single dram – Ben Nevis 19 year (1996/2016) Cask No 871 45.1%
With a few more tastings including:
- The elusive Longmorn 16 year 48% – Slow down and enjoy…
- Royal Brackla 16 year 40% – Pronounced a bar night whisky with food!
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
You can also find even more Whisky bits ‘n bobs on:
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Whisky Lady – December Delights
Just wanted to raise a virtual toast and wish you all a very Happy New Years!!
As I was away in Indonesia for most of December, my Whisky Lady posts were mostly catch-up on earlier tasting experiences…
Once again the Bombay & Malt and Cigar gentlemen managed to accommodate my mad travel schedule and arranged our night to coincide with my limited dates back in Mumbai. The theme was Berrys’ and a blend featuring:
- Berrys’ Speyside 46% – Sour cherries meets bitter sherry… hmm….
- Berrys’ Islay 46% – Peaty sweet cinnamon spice…
- Ghosted Reserve No 2 42.8% – A trio of lost Lowland distillery spirits from Ladyburn, Inverleven and Dumbarton…
Whisky Lady – Just July
July was honestly just a lot of fun. Just as June was full of travels, July was very much Mumbai focused.
Our original club and Bombay Malt & Cigar club took a break, however no mere monsoon could hold back our intrepid Whisky Ladies who tackled 5 whisky regions with:
- Lowlands – Glenkinchie 12 year 43% – Light apple cider appetizer
- Islands – Jura Turas-Mara 42% – ‘Long journey’ to silky sweetness and deceptive richness
- Highlands – Clynelish 14 year 46% – Satisfying contrast between aroma, palate and finish!
- Speyside – Cardhu 12 year 40% – An experiment comparing newly opened vs previously opened bottle…
- Islay – Ardbeg 10 year 46% – For those of the peaty persuasion!
Whisky Lady – June Jaunts
June was full of travels! Which just so happened to prompt a few whisky adventures with:
- Amusing hour(s) selecting whiskies at London’s Whisky Exchange
- Went on a road trip to tour of Gimli’s Crown Royal plant
- Got completely distracted at a Winnipeg Liquor Mart
- Evening with Winnipeg’s “The Cabinet” whisky tasting club
- Popped into Winnipeg’s Whisky Bar (part of The Toad in the Hole on Osborne)
- Raided a friend’s whisky collection to snag a few samples to bring back to India… as he puts it “I do NOT collect stamps!“
June featured three tasting sessions! (more…)
Whisky Lady – May missive
Whisky Lady sampling remained strong in May with four whisky sessions!
It kicked off with a special “Gourmet Affair” whisky and food pairing by The Singleton and TheWestin Mumbai featuring:
- Glenkinchie 12 year with asparagus and burrata
- Caol Ila 12 year with stuffed morels and mushrooms
- Talisker 10 year with seared scallops and prosciutto or corn fed chicken
- Lagavulin 16 year with Australian lamb loin or Indian lamb shank
- Singleton by Glen Ord 12 year with mignardises
Whisky Lady – April fools?
Those who live in India know that after holi, the temperature rises and the real summer begins! Which means in April, you’d be a fool to not seek solace with fans or the occasional A/C and liquid libations tends towards beer o’clock than whisky.
However call me an April fool, but this Whisky Lady had another active month with:
- Sharing thoughts on ‘Feminist twist on whisky‘ with a link to an interview in SheThePeopleTV and other whisky women bloggers
- Celebration of 200 whisky posts!
- Speculation that if you were to pair whisky with jazz, what would you chose?
- Plus a wee dance through a few Compass Box blend reviews
As for our whisky clubs? Oh we had a full month too! (more…)
Whisky Lady – March Maltiness
As March heated up in Mumbai, Whisky Lady sampling also kept pace…
All three tasting groups had some real gems and discoveries! I also finished the Canadian samples, brushed off posts from the archives and shared an article published in MansWorld (yes I do write for others from time to time).
It also marked two milestones – over 2,000 followers and nearly 200 posts! (more…)