Home » Posts tagged 'Kavalan'
Tag Archives: Kavalan
Once upon a time, March 31st used to mean year-end sales push with everyone running around, heaps of energy, effort and much more!
While I no longer have such direct business pressures, I do still need to do the accounting books so did a little whisky cabinet spring cleaning to pull out a few older oxidation bottles to have on hand for a late evening post numbers wind down. Great plan… til a cold happened. And I never waste good whisky on a stuffed up nose!!
So instead, my March round-up will not feature my hidden gems, instead share that it did bring some merriment and mischief with a trip to Jakarta and Singapore – including a nip into The Single Cask and La Maison du Whisky.
Alas March missed two of our usual tasting group sessions – both the BMC and our underground original club. However nothing was going to stop our Whisky Ladies from their monthly tasting!
And what did the ladies chose? A few less common slightly ‘Risky Whiskies‘:
- France – Brenne Estate Cask 40% – A delightful light, frankly ‘girly’ bubblegum whisky
- France – AWA (Authentique Whisky Alsacien) Pinot Noire 42% – A wine influenced playful, flower bouquet of a whisky
- USA – Virgil Kaine 2016 Ashcat 45.6% – Bourbon with a twist!
Plus a birthday bonus and bourbon:
- Lowland – Auchentoshan 40 year 41.2% – A whisky lady birthday treat! Happy Bday Pooja!!!
- USA – Willett Pot Stilled Reserve 47% – Great with a cube of ice!
I also shared notes from an amazing evening with Krishna Nakula when we sampled:
- Undeclared 22 year (1990/2012) 46% – Sweet spice with a lovely long finish
- Glenlivet 19 year (1995/2015) 58.1% – Banana spice, nutty cereal…
- Amrut 5 year (2010/2015) 56.5% – Finally an Amrut I really LIKE!
- Kavalan Solist NAS Sherry Cask S081229026 55.6% – Yet another brilliant Kavalan!
- Benriach 20 year (1994/2014) 54.7% – Lots of different elements, not quite in harmony
Plus a few extras like:
- Whisky Tip for Asia – “Take a “shot” of ice cold water” (Murray Campbell, Bruichladdich Brand Ambassador for Asia)
- Whisky Live Singapore – Ladies Room + Amrut
- A look back on the remarkable Nordic Whiskies Journey
- Recap of the Whisky Ladies bitching at the International Scotch Day
- And “Of all the gin joints!” on Native Brew’s early gin experiments for the Whisky Ladies
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
You can also find my Whisky Lady in India avatar on:
July was honestly just a lot of fun. Just as June was full of travels, July was very much Mumbai focused.
Our original club and Bombay Malt & Cigar club took a break, however no mere monsoon could hold back our intrepid Whisky Ladies who tackled 5 whisky regions with:
- Lowlands – Glenkinchie 12 year 43% – Light apple cider appetizer
- Islands – Jura Turas-Mara 42% – ‘Long journey’ to silky sweetness and deceptive richness
- Highlands – Clynelish 14 year 46% – Satisfying contrast between aroma, palate and finish!
- Speyside – Cardhu 12 year 40% – An experiment comparing newly opened vs previously opened bottle…
- Islay – Ardbeg 10 year 46% – For those of the peaty persuasion!
Whisky Lady sampling remained strong in May with four whisky sessions!
It kicked off with a special “Gourmet Affair” whisky and food pairing by The Singleton and TheWestin Mumbai featuring:
- Glenkinchie 12 year with asparagus and burrata
- Caol Ila 12 year with stuffed morels and mushrooms
- Talisker 10 year with seared scallops and prosciutto or corn fed chicken
- Lagavulin 16 year with Australian lamb loin or Indian lamb shank
- Singleton by Glen Ord 12 year with mignardises
Those who live in India know that after holi, the temperature rises and the real summer begins! Which means in April, you’d be a fool to not seek solace with fans or the occasional A/C and liquid libations tends towards beer o’clock than whisky.
However call me an April fool, but this Whisky Lady had another active month with:
- Sharing thoughts on ‘Feminist twist on whisky‘ with a link to an interview in SheThePeopleTV and other whisky women bloggers
- Celebration of 200 whisky posts!
- Speculation that if you were to pair whisky with jazz, what would you chose?
- Plus a wee dance through a few Compass Box blend reviews
As for our whisky clubs? Oh we had a full month too! (more…)
As March heated up in Mumbai, Whisky Lady sampling also kept pace…
All three tasting groups had some real gems and discoveries! I also finished the Canadian samples, brushed off posts from the archives and shared an article published in MansWorld (yes I do write for others from time to time).
It also marked two milestones – over 2,000 followers and nearly 200 posts! (more…)