January was just jolly good! It was great being home in Mumbai and even better being able to join all three whisky groups sessions…
This month, the Whisky Ladies hosted the Bombay & Malt and Cigar gentlemen for a combined evening featuring our “Ladies Choice” whiskies as those found most interesting over the last year:
- Japan – Akashi 40% – Appetizer whisky…
- Sweden – Mackmyra Vinterdröm 46.1% – Special edition
- India – Paul John Single Cask #1844 60.5% – Unpeated single cask
- France – Kornog Taouarc’h Pempved 14 BC 46% – Our bras stayed on this time!
- Taiwan – Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask S090102020 57.1% – What a whisky!
I was absolutely delighted to join our original club’s session with a journey East to West with:
- Japan – Hakushu NAS 43% – Has the Japanese bubble burst?
- India – Paul John Bold Batch #4 (2016) 46% – Wow! Getting better and better!
- Italy – Puni Alba 3 year Batch #2 (2015) 43% – Untraditional approach – what a remarkable combination of Marsala and Islay casks
- Scotland – Clynelish 15 year (2001/2016) Refill Sherry 54% (G&MP) – Not your usual sherry bomb
- Shelter Point Single Malt (2016, Batch #1) 46% – Fantastic 1st foray into the world of whisky – bravo BC, Canada!!
- Westland Single Malt 46% – Continues to confirm these Seattle folks are making darn good whisky
- AD Laws Triticum Straight Wheat 2 year (Batch #1B) 50% – The trouble with tribbles and grain experiments
- AD Laws Hordeum Straight Malt 2 year (Batch #1B) 42.5% – More grain experiments
My Whisky Live Singapore postings continued with:
- Benromach – The brilliant Benromach was a favourite from the Whisky Live experience – pity I lost my tasting notes except for the Hermitage!
- Kavalan – “King Kavalan” has been dominating whisky global awards, so it was a treat to sample 8 Kavalan whiskies side-by-side
- Nikka – A zippy nip through a range of Nikka whiskies
- Old Pulteney – A masterclass revisiting the full range
- Port Askaig – Mastery Islay expressions
- Plus the fabulous Collector’s Room where I sampled:
- Tormore 10 year 43% (1970s OB) – Classic sherry whisky
- Linkwood 25 year 40% (G&MP) – Yet another lovely Linkwood…
- “Royal Wedding H.R.H. Prince Charles” Bruichladdich 15 year (1965/1981) 52% – Clear showstopper for it unique bottle, piece of history and exquisite whisky
- Karuizawa 12 year (1999) 58.9% – The mighty Karuaizawa
Finally recovered from a lingering cough and cold I finally got around to completing my 2016 Winnipeg Whisky stash samples:
Plus cracked open a few miniatures from The Whisky Exchange:
- Auchroisk 1996/2014 46% (Gordon & MacPhail) – Tried a 20 year old last year however this G&MP bottling was far superior!
- Glencadam 15 year 46% – Can check this one off as ‘tried’, not my tipple… a little too much in the Tomintoul category for me…
- Glen Keith (1993/2011) 46% (Gordon & MacPhail) – Next to the Auchroisk, not quite so stunning but still good try try…
- Then closed our evening off by revisiting a Welsh whisky with a Madeira finish – Penderyn Madeira 46%
Finally…. one more from the archive – Auchentoshen, AnCnoc, Deanston & Tomatin!
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
You can also find my Whisky Lady in India avatar on: