There is something quite absurd about buying boots in Bombay on a bright warm sunny day in a thin sleeveless t-shirt…
So why am I buying such footwear?
Last night I booked a flight and tomorrow I fly… and this time Europe (not Asia) is the lucky winner!
It has just been a month since my last trip… but with friends in Amsterdam offering a place to crash, accomplished most of my immediate ‘must do’ list combined with a bit of downtime on my hands, thought why the heck not?
So back to the boots… ?
Well… you see… after being a seasoned Canadian from ‘Winterpeg’ where -40’c is just ho hum… All the years in Asia has spoilt me and I’ve grown paranoid about being cold!
+35’c? Puulease! A delight!
Anything below +25’c…. uh erm… squirm… it’s getting a tad chilly, eh?
And temperatures hovering around +5 with rain?! Egads! Who lives in these kinds of places!?
Now why don’t I already have a pair of serviceable closed shoes or boots, hmmm?
Well… I do… in Canada. Which doesn’t help me much when I’m flying from Bombay.
A snazzy pair of sexy Spanish booties with jaunty heels (smile!). Which again doesn’t work post ankle accident… heels and I are currently not on speaking terms! (frown and growl)
So off I went today on a quest for any kind of comfy closed shoe type footwear that could also withstanding a little wetness.
Hence… buying boots in balmy Bombay that look like they should be able to take on European autumn wet and chill.
Add to the mix:
- From deep within the bed box, my last Canadian sweater from the early 90s…
- Alas my uber cool coat for winter trips to China & Taiwan no longer fits… however many trips ago a friend in Toronto insisted I check out this new Canadian store – LuluLemon – and I acquired a rather fab light jacket… plus have my old 90s jean jacket so SHOULD be sorted on that front… (I hope!)
- Rummaged around an unearthed from the back of the cupboard a couple thin turtle necks that could service as nice inner linings. I haven’t completely forgotten the trick to beating cold is layer layer layer! 😉
- Socks… where the heck are my old socks!? Ahh…. back of another shelf relegated to the ‘hard to get at because never use’ corner!
So while I may look like I’m a time warp refugee from 20 odd years ago, I should survive rather than someone spotting a shivering blue waif that used to be known as a hardy Manitoban gal!
And the rest – well… I have no particular plans so will see where my travels take me!
When was the last time you took an impromptu trip?
And more importantly, any recommendations for activities in Amsterdam?
- My 1st class flight to nowhere
- “Let’s go out for dinner” aka the Puncak un-plan
- Sleep deprived Sundays… a traveller’s lament!
- Viva Vietnam – Impromptu Adventures