Check it out! Expat Focus featured Everyday Asia as a ‘Top 5 Expat Blogs – India.‘ For those not familiar with Expat Focus, it is a website that provides all sorts of resources for expats plus also features expat blogs and discussion forums.
They also just published an interview with me. Woo hoo!
Here’s a quick ‘cheat sheet’… for details read the full interview here:
- Who the heck are you? Check out about
- Where, when and why move? Travel tales… how I got hooked on going away!
- What challenges did you face? Typical starving student stuff but all good fun
- Other expats in your area? Originally almost none. Now oodles! In stumbling distance even…
- What do you like / dislike about life where you are? Lots and nearly none 🙂
- Biggest challenge? Eve teasing… the other side of my love affair with India
- What advice would you give to someone following in your footsteps? Extract below…
- What plans for the future? More of the same!
One topic on my mind which clearly leaked out in this interview is stories of Asian Male / Western Female (AMWF) couples choosing a new life in Asia.
As someone who first came to Asia twenty-five years ago and, let’s be honest, has been in more than one relationship in this part of the world, my perspective encompasses phases post rosy-tinted “I’m so in love!”
That doesn’t mean I’m cynical but it does mean I felt compelled to dish out some probably quite un-wanted advice to those in that “head over heels” stage!
So here goes young folks in an AMWF / AFWM relationship living in their Asian spouse’s home:
- While it is important to embrace the culture of your spouse and adapt to your immediate surroundings, make it work for you…
- Get a job!! Or continue University studies… Or engage in some kind of activity that enables you to build something which is yours and not dependent on your new family
- Don’t expect your spouse to always ‘translate’ the world around you… embrace it! Learn the local language, build a network of other folks willing to answer your ‘dumb’ questions, keep trying new things
- No matter where you are in the world – be true to yourself!
So… anyone agree or disagree with this advice? Have anything more to add?
Agony aunty Carissa welcomes your thoughts!
- Our Christmas Eve Love Story
- Passport power… cross-border crossing with different passports
- Social media – personal vs professional