Yeah! This is officially the beginning of “Year 2” since I started sharing a monthly round-up of Whisky Lady sampling adventures!
January started off slow… then picked up pace to cover 25 whiskies – including back-to-back whisky tastings last night and the night before!
Our original group had a light sprightly feel to the evening with:
- Tyrconnell 10 year 40% – Light Irish offering
- Clynelish 14 year 46% – Delicate sweet spice
- Speyburn 10 year 43% – Pleasant drinkable dram (3rd time in less than a year!)
- Then purely for contrast a Wasmund’s 12 month 48% – because we all need a little ‘bad boy’ to spice things up once n awhile!
We went full-on all-out American! We were joined by a special guest – Shatbhi Basu – bartender, cocktail creator and Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) whiskey Ambassador to India.
- Jack Daniels Old No 7 40% – Banana cream pie nose, benign palate
- Hudson Single Malt 46% – Umm… not quite sure what to make of this one!
- Jim Beam 40% – Happy feel good whiskey that is a little too easy to drink
- Knobs Creek 9 year 50% – Now we are talking whiskey!
- Plus three delicious cocktails
However sampling adventures didn’t stop there! Nope! Read on…
- Welcome to Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection 17 year
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Miltonduff 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Glenburgie 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Scapa 40%
- Ballentine’s 17 year – Glentauchers 40%
My personal whisky tasting was a quick nip and dive into samples from the Canadian Score with:
- BenRiach 16 year 40% – Speyside classic
- BenRiach 17 year Septendecim 46% – A peaty, rich & robust dram
- Bruichladdich Octomore 5 169ppm 59.5% – Remarkable turbo charged peated whisky
- Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Islay Barley 50% – Minty, malty, sea salt, citrus sweet
Also shared notes from a very merry Whisky Ladies evening from September 2015 with Global Marketing Head, Scottish Brands Karen Walker:
- Caorunn Gin – A refreshingly civilised start to the eve!
- Balblair 03 – Modern historical romance
- Speyburn 10 year – With bonus distillery fashion footwear advice
- Old Pulteney 12 year – Ever wonder what Prince Charles wears beneath his kilt?
- AnCnoc 12 and 22 year – Close on a playful note!
From the archives, I also brushed off and re-visited notes for:
- Irish Eyes – Green Spot, Yellow Spot & Redbreast – Hello pot still whiskies!!
- Glenturret 10 year 40% – What hides inside Famous Grouse
- Kilchoman Machir Bay 46% – Challenges notions of what is possible in a younger Islay
Curious to know more? Check out Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
- Whisky Lady – December delights
- Whisky Lady – November novelties
- Whisky Lady – October offerings
- Whisky Lady – Sulty September
- Whisky Lady – Awesome August
- Whisky Lady – July journeys
- Whisky Lady – June joy
- Whisky Lady – May merriment
- Whisky Lady – April adventures
- Whisky Lady – March madness
- Whisky Lady – February fun
- Whisky Lady – January journal
You can also find even more Whisky bits ‘n bobs on: