October in Mumbai is often much hotter than the April – June heat. With no hope of the cooling monsoon around the corner, we simply have to grin and bear it until the we ease into ‘winter’… aka 29’c!
And let’s face it – sweaty weather is not exactly optimal whisky tasting conditions. However, undeterred, this Whisky Lady found ways to soldier through!
Our regular monthly tasting session reminded us to slow down… and savour three new whiskies:
- Aultmore 2000 (bottled 2014) 46% (Gordon & MacPhail) – Delicate, subtle and eminently approachable
- Hellyers Road 12 year 46.2% – Not for the novice but absolutely worth exploring!
- Benromach 10 year 100′ Proof 57% – Superb – remarkably complex and rich with an amazing range of notes and taste for such a young Speyside
Beyond the tasting session, I started exploring the Canadian stash:
- Springbank Vintage 1996, 55.8%, Cask no 269 – A delight!
- Compass Box Hedonism 43% – Unique, curiously strong element of coconut oil
- Kurazaiwas Asama 46% – Can check this rarity off my list
And brushed off a few more ‘tasting notes’ archives:
- Glen Deveron 20 year – Oddly disappointing
- Blair Athol 16 year (Hunter Laing ‘Old Malt Cask’) – “As though an elegant lady sauntered in the room, then turned out to be completely wild in bed!”
- Chichibu ‘The Floor Malted’ 3 year – The evening a mere 3-year-old outclassed a 20-year-old
I also had some fun with posts like:
- 10 tips for whisky hosting as a wee guide for our new merry malt explorers!
- Three tips for whisky tasting order… for every guideline, there is an exception too!
- Lamented the non-availability of the quintessential British cooling beverage – Pimm’s anyone?
And finally got around to finishing a post about an interesting evening from July with master distiller Stuart Harvey sampling, amongst other whiskies, the Balbair 03.
October was the most active month til date in terms of comments and likes – thanks folks for tuning in and talking too!
Until next month – Slainthe!
Curious to know more? Start with Whisky Lady’s monthly missives :
- Whisky Lady – Sulty September
- Whisky Lady – Awesome August
- Whisky Lady – July journeys
- Whisky Lady – June joy
- Whisky Lady – May merriment
- Whisky Lady – April adventures
- Whisky Lady – March madness
- Whisky Lady – February fun
- Whisky Lady – January journal
You can also find even more Whisky bits ‘n bobs on: