This particular session required some advance planning with purchases in Tokyo during my July 2014 trip. To pair with exploring whiskies from this remarkable country, I prevailed on a friend’s catering company for a 4-course Japanese feast from Sushi Koi – simply delicious!
Our February whisky tasting session included:
- Chita Single Grain Whisky – Utterly exquisite – perfume perfection
- Chichibu 2009 French Oak Cask – Deceptive strength, bursting with character
- Taketsuru Pure Malt 17 Year – Must air then delightfully complex
- Mystery Malt – Ichiro’s 46.5% from Isetan – Possibly the Houou-uhi – a rediculously rare blend of two discontinued distilleries – Hanyu and Kawasaki – must catch if you can!
Enjoyed revisiting a few sampled previously:
- Ledaig 1997 – Another excellent Gordon & MacPhail discovery…
- Talisker Dark Storm NAS 45.8% – A dark and stormy dram… drinkable but not exceptional
- Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask 46% – For a touch of the Irish!
- Highland Park 1998 40% – Sigh… I miss the 18 year… Sigh…
I also had fun with the following:
- The Quandry of the Kininvie 17 year – Indecision time – to open or keep?? Followed by a generous offer of a sample when next in Singapore…
- Taste Test! – Revealing nose is king in taste!
Top picks? A tough one this month! The simple answer is the Japanese whiskies ruled – each for different reasons:
- The Mystery Malt from Ichiro’s Malt is definitely special, mature, well-rounded and nuanced!
- I’m also terribly partial to cask strength whiskies, so the Chichibu 2009 French Oak Cask gets a special nod with its complex elements and deceptive strength.
- The Chita is unique with a feminine ‘perfume’ quality that is almost ‘un-whisky’ like – in a good way!
- And after airing, can certainly see why the Taktsuru Pure Malt garners attention.
Check out recent the Whisky Lady posts:
- Feb 2015 – Chita Single Grain Whisky, Chichibu 2009 French Oak Cask, Taketsuru Pure Malt 17 Year, Ichiro’s Malt 46.5% (possibly Houou-uhi).
- Jan 2015 – Bailie Nicole Jarvie (BNJ), Paul John Single Malt Edited, GlenDronach 21 Year Parliament
- Revisits – Ledaig 1997, Talisker Dark Storm, Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask, Highland Park 1998