I’m no stranger to serious travel.
There was a time when I practically dismissed the jet lag phenomenon. Sure it gets you, but there are oodles of ways to cope!
- Arrive at your destination during the day/early eve, fight to stay awake til a ‘decent’ local sleeping hour and drop exhausted into slumber
- Even if you wake up early, resist the urge to get out of bed… worst case read til your eyes droop
- Keep busy and active during the day! Get out and about as much as possible – especially during the mid-afternoon “I’m dying to just shut my eyes for a min!” period
- Hydrate, eat healthy, avoid / reduce alcohol, no late night eating
Yeah… I know the drill.
However right now I’ve got a serious case of scrambled brain. As in barely functioning. As in I’ve never had jet lag like this.
Six time zones in two weeks will do that to you. Never once adjusted properly to any time zone…
I’m so mixed up that Day #1 back home went like this:
- 11am – Land in Mumbai
- 4pm – Serious case of the sleepies… but I WILL prevail!! Fight it! Fight it!
- 10pm – Gotta sleep… OMG get me to bed now!
- 12am – Ooooh my own bed, my own pillows, my own Zzzzzz…..
- 4am – Ping! Wake up! Bugger… try to get back to sleep… Nope… give up and decide to read…
- 6am – Still wide awake, give in and make a cup of coffee
- 9am – Yup! Clearly up for the count so let’s get on with the day!
And Day #2 went like this:
- 11am – Coffee # 2, foggy brain, deal with workers and their even more brainless antics
- 3pm – No place to sit, so propped up in bed working on laptop…. dangerous… eyes shut… Oh crap! Fell asleep!
- 10pm – Somewhat tired but not so bad
- 4am – Arrrgghhhh!!!!! Cannot sleep!!! Been awake for 24 hours less the accidental 20 minute afternoon nap!!
- 9am – Ding dong! Ding dong! (Howl!!)
Within the first 48 hours of being home I’ve had a grand total of under 5 hours sleep.
Jet lag I hate you.
Synapses are just not quite connecting… There was lots I SHOULD be doing but sleep deprived Carissa is not a productive lass!
Anyone else get kicked in the backside by nasty jet lag lately?
- Jet lag and a wood chipper? Seriously?!
- Sleep deprived Sundays… a travellers lament
- Passport power – cross-border crossing from different countries