In July 2014 I went on this crazy whirlwind work trip that took me from Jakarta to Mumbai to Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo then Shanghai back to KL and home to Mumbai for a short bit before heading off again to Jakarta!
Thanks to still having mobility issues at that time, I could not explore with my usual verve and vigour… instead hobbled carefully along with my trusty cane.
While short, it was a fabulous trip and when hosting our February Japanese themed whisky tasting session, was reminded of how much I enjoyed those couple of days in Japan.
It was my first trip to Japan – a place I’ve wanted an opportunity to go for a long time!
And I loved it! I would go back again in a heartbeat – hopefully next time with my partner.
For this trip, I had three objectives:
- Conduct a kick-ass programme precisely within the allotted time and attempt to avoid the cultural pitfalls the previous ‘North American’ facilitator made
- Feast on fabulous food with a focus on making the most of being in the land of sushi, sashimi and more!
- Hunt down less accessible Japanese whiskies
So how did I do?
- Programme – Feedback was positive and unless folks were too polite to point out my gaffs, managed to do ok. Timing was impeccable – I asked for all the participants help to enable us together to start and finish on time. I literally did a count-down to the second at the close!
- Food – Oh baby! I am salivating just remembering… to say I pigged-out is a massive understatement.
- Whisky – I scored full marks as my monthly post providing a synopsis from Whisky Lady attests!
While my regular camera broke I did manage to catch a few snaps on my trusty camera phone, so will share a couple interesting elements from the 2.5 days in Tokyo over the next week or so…
- Tokyo Day 1 – Wandering around Shinjuku Ni-chōme
- Tokyo Day 2 – Work, water and whisky
- Tokyo Day 3 / Shanghai Day – Travel time!
- 5th Quarter Summary