Home » Posts tagged 'Friends'
Tag Archives: Friends
Lately I’ve been caught calling Singapore my ‘alternate’ home…
My original home is Canada.
My adopted home is India.
My work home is often (happily!) Indonesia among many other countries across Asia.
However my international company is based in Singapore. It is my work hub, my frequent hop stop from various countries… and when I’m away too long, I get this itchy feeling… and my fingers reach out to book a flight!
So this week I’m off to Singapore for a mad time chock-full of all sorts of activities. A sneak peak into a few include:
- Zip from airport to an evening of jazz with an old high school buddy
- Co-facilitate a session at a Women’s Leadership Development workshop
- Meetings, meetings and more meetings over coffee, lunch, more coffee, maybe some tea… with hopes something somewhere ‘clicks’ and there will be some interesting next steps
- Slightly mind-numbing accounting and annual file preparation… ugh!
- Feasting as food is just too good! And best accompanied with friends and general fun faffery
- Explore a few whisky hot spots with more than one set of fabulous folks
- Inspect (oops meet!) the new ‘man’ of a dear friend and see how the little one of another is growing up!
- A stroll along the East Coast… just because I’m lucky enough to be staying nearby
Honestly… I can’t wait to get on that plane and plunge back into Singapore life for a few days.
And I know… none of this sounds like a wild ‘explore the world’ kinda trip. It is just catching up on regular life type activities.
Because after all… Singapore is my ‘alternate’ home.
Have you ever had a ‘staycation’? A vacation when you don’t really get ‘away’ but do escape from the drudgery of the daily work grind?
My part of the Jakarta project is winding up and this is my last trip to Indonesia. I was lucky enough to fit in a bit of a vacation before heading home to India.
Original plan was to head to an island and laze on a beach… however when there was a chance to catch up with an old friend and colleague in town from Hong Kong… decided to stick around Jakarta.
That’s when the ‘staycation’ fancy took hold. The tricks for a fab staycation (in my humble opinion) are: (more…)
We’re back in my hometown of Winnipeg, Canada to visit family, friends and catch the 40th Winnipeg Folk Festival. As it is impossible on these trips to see everyone everywhere, my sister and her partner host a “Meet & Greet”. Typically on a Sunday afternoon, the tradition began almost 10 years ago with a Facebook invite to a few folks and has grown into a lovely multi-generational gathering with an age spread of a few months to 80 plus!
It was a beautifully sunny day with a glorious blue sky typical of the prairies – perfect weather for climbing trees and a BBQ. As always, we had a delightful mix of family and friends from various walks of life. I’ve not been surprised to see a priest joking with an ex con, 80s flashbacks of punk school shenanigans shared with earnest academics, folk fest volunteers, survivalist instructor, aerial dancer, politicos, film, digital media, nanny, scientist, environmentalist, geeks to creative types of all kinds, self-made international business person, homemakers (male and female persuasion)… It’s a kaleidoscope of near and dear – each distinct characters that come together for a rollicking good time. (more…)