Postman suddenly delivers a letter to your door instead of stuffing it into the mailbox
- Rations delivery guy stands expectantly for an extra Diwali ‘bakshish‘ (tip)
- Garbage collection family does a ‘double’ check to see if you have handed over all the day’s garbage?
Mysteriously from every corner emerge people one barely registers as supporting the lifestyle one takes for granted…
Yes it is payback time for all the invisible and visible activities that go into life in India.
And those who regularly collect salaries, expect an extra month’s salary as a bonus.
And who can blame folks for wanting a ‘bonus’? Despite the illusion of ‘poor India’, it ain’t cheap to live here and getting an annual little ‘extra’ is common in many parts of the world…
In Indonesia, Lebaran comes with Tunjangan Hari Raya (THR) which is a mandatory fixed 13th or sometimes even 14th month bonus.
In China, the New Year is greeted with bright red envelopes filled with a crisp new notes.
So why should India’s biggest Hindu festival be any different?
But what if you are not Hindu?
Well my friend… welcome to the world of double demands both during Diwali and other ‘festivals’. In our case, we get ‘hit up’ for Christmas too!
So thank you oh lovely folks who make our every day life a little easier (or more complicated, as the case may be!)
Happy Diwali and enjoy your bonus and break!!
- Diwali – Festival of lights not pollution
- Catching the horse’s mane! CNY in KL
- ‘Happy Holidays!’ aka the Jakarta exodus
- Merry Christmas Mercedes?!