It’s been awhile since I shared a recipe. So when I picked up a lovely bunch of mushrooms, it was clearly time to make soup!
Feel free to mix it up, however the basic recipe includes:
- A teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and roughly chopped
- A biggish bunch of fresh mushroom, brushed and cut in chunks – a variety of mushrooms works well too!
- 1 cup of white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (or more if you like!) of barley
- Veggie broth cube, dissolved in a cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed Italian herbs
- Lots of fresh ground black pepper and a pinch of salt
Easy peasy directions:
- Heat the olive oil in a pot, saute the onions then add the mushrooms to saute them too
- If in a boozy mode, add the white wine (brings out a nice extra flavour)
- Put everything else into the pot
- Add enough water to make a nice soup (yeah I know… duh… kind of the point, right?)
- Cook until the barley is al dente or soft (your preference) – likely around 20 minutes
It is just that simple! I also added for a bit more substance, small chunks of sweet potato – the variety with a dark purple exterior and white inside – haven’t seen this anywhere other than India however rumour has it can be found in other parts of Asia.
Most important? Just enjoy with a multi grain toast or anything else that your palate fancies!
- Winter is coming… So make soup!
- Monsoon soup – What to make when the rain won’t stop
- Home remedies – sick chick soup
- Home sweet home…