Winter is coming to my ‘home town’ of Winnipeg… while here in my ‘adopted home’ Mumbai, it is perpetual summer. And yet I find myself in a strangely sentimental mood thinking about friends and family in colder climes. So, what to do? Make a ‘winter’ inspired soup, of course!
Here are the ingredients:
1 large onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, 1 small sweet potato, 1 large carrot peeled & chopped into chunks
- 6 – 8 green beans, end snipped and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of masoor dal
- Veggie broth cube, dissolved in a cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes or ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
The directions are simple:
– Put everything into the pressure cooker
– Add water to more than cover all the ingredients
– Pressure cook for about 12 – 15 minutes
It is just that simple! I personally prefer this soup with dried red pepper flakes – adds a nice flavour and colour.
So folks in cooler climes or warm ones, if you feel like a little comfort food, try it out!