My mother went into labour as ‘trick or treaters’ knocked on their door the Hallowe’en of 1969. She would say how, as her contractions came, she wished I might hold off just a wee bit til after midnight… By 5am the next day she was cursing but got her way as I welcomed the world on 1st November.
Over the years, I’ve met others born on 1st November and occasionally we even celebrate our birthdays together.
For my 40th birthday, enjoyed a ‘triple treat’ birthday with:
A “young” friend (left in pic) who has such a zest for life, we bonded instantly when we met a couple of years ago. We share a love of good music, laughter and more!
- Yup – that’s me in the middle!
- An “old” friend (right in pic) – we met in France in 1988. I’ll never forget one party in Mumbai where a guy I just met ever so kindly took it upon himself to ‘introduce’ me to others (thinking I’m a newbie firangi to India)… to discover practically everyone else there and I knew each other from weeks… to months… to years… By the time he came to my “old” friend: “We’ve known each other for over twenty years – I think maybe 23?” He went “I give up! Who the hell are you???”
This year, my partner and I contemplated throwing a combined birthday party (he’s also a Scorpio baby)… even got to the stage of considering a space, set-up for live music jam and the opportunity to open the flood gates to invite the gazillion friends we can never host in our wee apartment.
Til the reality of my work on the Indonesia project and his busy shooting schedule sunk in – tackling anything more seemed idiotic and impractical.
What to do? Naturally, just enjoy a week of celebrations in Mumbai – tomorrow is a video launch/house-warming party, there is Hallowe’en, Diwali and more! With a ‘health warning’ that we come as a ‘quintuple gang’ of birthday celebrants :
My partner (left in pic) – 6th Nov
- Yours truly (middle again) – 1st Nov
- My ‘brother’ (right in pic) – 1st Nov (Yeah! Visiting from Canada)
- His friend – 2nd Nov (visiting from the US)
- The lovely Sahara of Ask Your Sister – 1st Nov (Yippee! Also visiting from Canada)
We plan to have a heck of a lot of fun over the next few days!!
Do you know anyone else with the same birthday? Ever celebrated together?
PS… In the end by popular demand we had a ‘wee’ gathering on my partner’s birthday… invited 20 odd folks with 50+ showing up!