It is well-known that I enjoy a good dram…
It is also reasonably well-known that I’m part of a lovely private whisky tasting club in Mumbai…
What isn’t so well-known is how we acquire our specialty offerings!
I’m gonna let you into a secret… From trips just like my Malaysia one.
When each member travels, they hunt out a place that goes well beyond the average duty-free fare to titillate our palates with something unique.
We also have a network of friends who come visit, knowing the best thing they can be is a ‘mule’ for our increasingly discerning tastes.
In all my trips to Indonesia last year, I despaired of finding anything remotely interesting.
You see… we’ve exhausted the duty-free options from my usual stops – Bangkok, Singapore and Mumbai airports.
I had little hope Kuala Lumpur would prove any different from Jakarta.
How wrong I was!
My colleague suggested I check out the local supermarket. I’m sorry, what?
As for what speciality item I bought?
Stay tuned for future monthly whisky tasting sessions…
- Whisky Tasting – Balvenie Triple Cask, Wasmund’s, The Speyside (17 Oct 2013)
- Whisky Tasting + Food Pairing – Cragganmore, Talisker, Lagavulin, Springbank 18 year (19 Dec 2013)
- Whisky Tasting – Singleton Artisan, Sullivans Cove, Bowmore 21 (17 Apr 2014)
- Whisky Tasting – Jameson, Green Spot + Redbreast (21 Nov 2013)
- Whisky Tastings – Oban, Deanston, The Six Isles & Yellow Spot (20 Jun 2013)