Part of tasting notes from a monthly private whisky club in Mumbai, India. Our January 2014 session was cancelled, so pulled out brief notes from an earlier 2013 session – missed taking photos so have borrowed with credit to the source.
Tasting Notes from 16 May 2013
Following our standard format, we blind tasted samples before revealing the whisky. This month featured: Singleton, GlenDronach, All Malt and the Belgian Owl.
The Singleton – We found it tasted better when chilled otherwise a fairly ‘standard’ whisky. A Speyside offering from the Auchroisk distillery.
GlenDronach 12 year – Unique on the nose and on the palate. Another Speyside worth revisiting.
Nikka’s All Malt – A beautiful offering that which was quickly categorised as a `woman’s whisky’ for its delicate, nuanced character. Refreshing to sample a whisky from Japan!
The Belgian Owl – Nothing exceptional and not even up to our regular standards. Perhaps it needs to perch itself longer in the cask maybe? Sigh… or maybe our Belgian friends should stick to beer? Pity this eco-friendly, colouring free whisky isn’t…. well… better…
Our favourite of the evening? It was a toss-up between the All Malt and GlenDronach – both delightful in their own way.
More than just a tasting, we were treated to an evening in the historic Dadar Parsi colony in a beautiful home that was recently renovated with much love and care. Our hosts put on a special Parsi sit-down dinner in their gorgeous dinning room that even featured home-made panir (cheese). Yum!
- Whisky Tasting – Balvenie Triple Cask, Wasmund’s, The Speyside (17 Oct 2013)
- Whisky Tasting + Food Pairing – Cragganmore, Talisker, Lagavulin, Springbank 18 year (19 Dec 2013)
- Whisky Tasting – Singleton Artisan, Sullivans Cove, Bowmore 21 (17 Apr 2014)
- Whisky Tasting – Jameson, Green Spot + Redbreast (21 Nov 2013)
- Whisky Tasting – Jura Superstition, Glen Garioch 1797 Founders Reserve, Ardbeg Corryvreckan (20 Feb 2014)