For literally years I’ve wanted to go back – a treat usually reserved for foreign guests who want a ‘real taste’ of food here. I shared this desire with more than one friend and finally last weekend a bunch of us decided “Yes let’s!” More miraculously – actually followed through on our enthusiasm – full credit to our ring leader not I!
Why is this place so memorable?
- In a part of Mumbai – Matunga East – I rarely go (don’t forget to say hello to the cow)
- Eat off a banana leaf (supposedly more hygienic than plates)
- 30 min wait for 5-10 mins of hogging (check out the blurry sign below)
- Cheap cheap cheap! For INR 150 / USD 2.50 you have all you can eat feast!
- And the food is truly yum! Typical meal includes buttermilk, rasam, various dals, multiple vegetable dishes, pickle, yoghurt, chappatis or puris, rice, pappad, choice of deserts
- Been around since 1942… so clearly someone somewhere must be doing something right for it to be consistently popular for decades!
Enjoy the pics, let your tummy rumble in hunger… Oh and don’t do what I did… Seriously over eat to the point I was moaning and groaning post lunch!
What do you enjoy but rarely actually do in your city?
- Bonus time in Bombay – Jakarta I’ll be back soon!
- “Wanna work in Jakarta?”
- Home remedies – sick chick soup!
- Monsoon soup – What to make when the rain won’t stop!