Part of a tasting notes series from a monthly private whisky club in Mumbai, India.
Tasting Notes from 18 September 2014
This evening featured Kentucky straight bourbon… taking our usual approach we tried ‘blind’ then unveiled! Our whiskies included: WL Weller Special Reserve, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace and 1792 Ridgemount Reserve.
- Colour – Dark burnished copper
- Nose – Banana toffee, sweet vanilla, caramel
- Palate – Spicy honey sweetness, perhaps a pinch of nutmeg? (some disagreed), “one track one direction”
- Finish – Warm
- Add water – Even spicier then mellowed out
Comments: “A lot more body than a regular Bourbon.” “Has all the ticks for bourbon…. A bit predictable.”
Unveiling: Straight bourbon with wheat substituting for rye.
- Colour – Dark reddish gold
- Nose – Citrus honey flowery perhaps a little fruit
- Palate – Spirity spice, chewy, a little harsh and dry
- Finish – Stretched after taste, slightly bitter
- Add water – Enhanced the sweet and spice
Debate: Some preferred the Weller, one thought the Buffalo Trace had more character
- Colour – Dark reddish gold, perhaps a hint paler than the others
- Nose – Aged rancio sweet overripe bananas, strong rye quality, after time became fruity floral
- Palate – Dry weak body, cinnamon, astringent on the tongue
- Finish – Very dry finish
Speculation was likely a straight bourbon with rye – turns out we were right!
Unveiling: The distinct feature of this bourbon is that it is produced in small batches
And for just a little extra, we re-sampled:
- Nose – Corn medicinal banana wet leather
- Palate – Sweet spice
- Finish – Says hello and then flits off
- Add water – Spice!!!!
Just what we’ve come to expect from a bourbon!
Was an interesting departure to take a little tipple trip to Kentucky however gotta admit, for my taste, this whisky lady prefers her single malts from Scotland. 🙂
- Whisky Tasting – Balvenie Triple Cask, Wasmund’s, The Speyside (17 Oct 2013)
- Whisky Tasting + Food Pairing – Cragganmore, Talisker, Lagavulin, Springbank 18 year (19 Dec 2013)
- Whisky Tasting – Singleton Artisan, Sullivans Cove, Bowmore 21 (17 Apr 2014)
- Whisky Tasting – Jameson, Green Spot + Redbreast (21 Nov 2013)