Instead, Everyday Asia is about utterly mundane everyday stories of life in India, Asia and sometimes beyond, viewed through the eyes of a woman from Canada. Exploring and sharing the ordinary helps me rediscover with delight, humour and even acceptance aspects that can otherwise be inspiring, challenging or a bit of both!
I’m originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – a city known for crazy cold winters and warm friendly people from all over the world. At ‘sweet 16’, my fresh new passport and I flew off to Germany on a student exchange program and never looked back!
What followed was a series of study abroad programs to France, former Yugoslavia and India. Since 2003, I’ve adopted Bombay, India as home, working in Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, travelling to Dubai, Vietnam and more!
We are all multi-faceted people – one expression of this for me was a late night vegetarian café / 2nd hand book store / gallery / music jam-joint I founded more than 25 years ago with friends. The café long ago closed, but it reflected my other loves – food, books, art, terribly earnest conversations protesting passionately against the ills of the world and most of all music! Another passion is theatre – as an enthusiastic audience member and partner of an actor. I’ve also been known to enjoy a wee dram of whisky from time to time too!
Wanna know more?
- Home about everyday life in India
- Away with travel adventures around Asia, Europe and North America
- Work for crazy insights into work life in India and the region
- Play on film, music, theatre, books and more – including Whisky
I also have another blog Whisky Lady!
Check out a few popular posts:
- Our Christmas Eve Love Story
- ‘Eve Teasing’ – The other side of my love affair with India
- “Can you drop the Indian accent?” – Accents and voice overs
- Canadian lass in Bollywood – Aspiring actress or dreams dashed?
- Whisky Lady – December Delights
If anything doesn’t make sense, you disagree or just want to share a laugh or two, please comment or drop me a line at info [at] everydayasia [dot] com!
I enjoy a good discussion and am always open to learning more.
Media features include:
- MumbaiMirror – Whisky Business (May 21, 2017)
- SheThePeople – Whisky Lady in India – Carissa Hickling (March 5, 2016)
- Learning India – Episode 12: Carissa Hickling (September 28, 2015)
- Expat Focus – Carissa Hickling, Mumbai (September 9, 2015)
- Indian Express – The Lady Wants a Single Malt (March 27, 2011)